Multi-award winning, gold selling, Afro Soul singer and songwriter, Berita, is proving to be one of the most important new voices of our generation in the Afro Soul genre. Known to make classic hit singles that resonates with people of all ages, at just 25, Berita has touched the hearts of many and received endorsements from the likes of Mama Africa, Yvonne Chaka Chaka; world renowned Oliver Mtukudzi; and Grammy award winning flugelhornist and composer Hugh Masekela. Berita has also added her voice and flavour to collaborations with South African house DJ icon Oskido as well as Black Motion, Lulo Café and DJ Q’ness.
Berita released her second single, Surprises, off upcoming album on 10 February 2017. Surprises follows the highly successful release of her hit single Nguwe Wedwa released in the last quarter of 2016. Nguwe Wedwa is still charting on radio stations such as Metro FM where it still features on the esteemed Metro FM Top 40 Chart (February 2017). Surprises is an inspirational and exciting single that is pegged to be yet another classic hit single offering that joins Berita’s impressive music catalogue.
2017 will be marked as a notable year for Berita as she gears up to release her self-titled third studio album, Berita. If her other two projects are anything to go by, Berita’s third studio album is set to secure more awards nominations and notable milestones and achievements to look back on.
“I write and sing songs that evoke happiness and share truth” – Berita
- 2015: Song Writer Of The Year – Wawela Music Awards
- 2015: Rising Star Of The Year – South African Afro Music Awards
- 2016: Music Artist Of The Year – Zimbabwe Achievers Awards
- 2013: Best African Pop Album – Metro FM Music Award
Notable Milestones / Achievements / Career Highlights
- 2016: Participated in Coke Studio which resulted in the release of Vusu Yeke which she collaborated on with Yanga
- 2015: Performed in the Netherlands at an embassy event in commemoration of the birthday of late former South African President, Nelson Mandela
- 2014: Collaborated with legendary singers High Masekela and Oliver Mtukudzi on single Mwana Wa Mai
- 2014: Music Artist Of The Year nominee – Zimbabwe Achievers Awards
- 2013: Developed an inspired motivational tour for 10 High Schools in the Eastern Cape with partner brands
- 2013: Music composed by Berita was licensed in the movie Positively Beautiful which was screened in major Film Festivals around the world
- 2012: Hit single Thandolwethu shot to the top of charts on radio stations across the country and today is still one of the most local recognised love ballads in the country
- 2012: Debut album, Conquering Spirit, released at just 21 years of age went on to reach gold selling status
- 2012: Conquering Spirit
- 2014: Songs of Empowerment
Zimbabwean born, South African based, Gugulethu Khumalo, is an award winning singer and songwriter who is popularly known by her stage name, Berita. She adopted the stage name Berita, which is her mother’s name, in honour of her mother and as well as all loving, hardworking African mothers around the continent.
Berita’s musical journey began in 2012 after leaving New Zealand, where her parents are immigrants working as dairy farmers, to come and study in South Africa. Equipped with just a guitar and her dreams, the 21 year old university student won the hearts of many South Africans with the release of her smash hit single, Thandolwethu, in a move that can now be deemed one of fate.
The Afro Soul sensation has now gone on to be a gold selling, multi-award winning singer and songwriter who maintains a positive impact in the Afro Soul genre in South Africa.
Berita has performed at festivals all around the continent and shared the stage with the likes of Salif Keita, Hugh Masekela, Angelique Kidjo, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Oliver Mtukudzi, and Kenny Latimore just to name a few.
Connect with Berita
Facebook: Berita Afro Soul; Twitter: @BeritaAfroSoul; Instagram: @BeritaAfroSoul